On January 8, 2021, Actress and Songwriter Olivia Rodrigo released her hit song, “Driver’s License”. The emotionally captivating song hit #1 in the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart within a week of it’s release. The song found most of its spotlight through social media platforms like Tiktok, Instagram, and Twitter. It also broke records among Spotify and Amazon Music. Olivia’s debut album, “SOUR” came out four months later, which also made it to the top of the Billboard charts.
Driver’s License is a heartfelt breakup ballad, based on Olivia getting her driver’s license. This song had a large effect on the world, as well as Rodrigo. Rodrigo’s follower count blew up after the song came out. Before ‘Driver’s License’, Olivia was mainly known for her character, “Nini” in High School Musical The Musical The Series. Her first song, “All I Want”, was produced through the show.
On Spotify, “Driver’s License” set the services record for most streams in a week worldwide. The song was streamed more than 76.1 million times solely in America within a week, and sold 38,000 downloads and 8.1 million radio airplay audience impressions in the same time.
This hit song is still played regularly, and it is a very important milestone to remember. Olivia Rodrigo, a biracial 18 year old girl, created something so relatable and heartfelt that it was felt across the planet. In this society, it is common to see people with privileged backgrounds and lives at the top of the charts, so seeing a Filipino-American with an immigrant background in the spotlight is major for all generations to see, particularly younger generations.
Olivia has performed the song many times, although the most famous performance was at the BRIT Awards, where she received 2 awards for the song.
- “MTV Video Music Award for Song of the Year” was awarded to Rodrigo, winning against “Levitating” by Dua Lipa and DaBaby, “Dynamite” by BTS, “Mood” by 24k Gold and iann dior, and “Leave The Door Open” by Bruno Mars.
- “MTV Video Music Award for Push Performance of the Year” was the second award given to Rodrigo, winning against “Are you Bored Yet?” by Wallows, “Gorgeous” by SAINt JHN, “24kGolden” by Coco, and many more.
Rodrigo’s hit song was also nominated for many awards, including:
- Grammy Award for Song of the Year
- American Music Award for Favorite Trending Song
- Danish Music Award for International Hit of the Year
- MTV Europe Music Award for the Best Song
- Grammy Award for Record of the Year
- Grammy Award for Best Pop Solo Performance
- American Music Award for Favorite Pop Song
- American Music Award for Favorite Music Video
My name is Lucia and I am a freshman at City High Middle. Some of my favorites things are soccer, reading, Clairo's music, and the movie Little Women.