As we all know, Valentine’s Day is coming up soon- the abundance of candy lining the aisles of every grocery store makes it pretty clear. One of the most popular of these candies are Sweethearts, so here are some interesting facts about the candy hearts that have overshadowed February 14 for ages.
1. The first Necco’s Candy Hearts were made as far back as 1866.
2. They used to be called “Motto Hearts.”
3. People buy so many of them that production starts at the end of February and only ends in the middle of the next January.
4. One of the earliest messages said, “Please send a lock of your hair by return mail.”
5. Sweethearts actually weren’t originally heart-shaped; they used to come in the shape of scallop shells.
6. They started out as popular wedding treats rather than a Valentine’s Day special.
7. The messages on the candy change, and new ones are added every year.
8. The candy hearts stay good for up to 5 years.
9. 8 billion Sweethearts are produced each year- enough for each person on the planet!
10. The company Necco offers to customize the candy for special occasions.